noun (plural still lifes /ˌlīfs/)
1A painting or drawing of an arrangement of objects, typically including fruit and flowers and objects contrasting with these in texture, such as bowls and glassware.
- Framed in heavy ornate gold like an old-master painting, it offered a still-life arrangement of tropical fruit, stuffed birds and jungle plants.
- Traditional still-life painting is often regarded as typically middle-class, representing the desire to possess and control the objects of daily life.
- These still-life paintings have been placed within interiors nationwide and are sure to create a successful design.
1.1Still life as a genre of painting or drawing.
- He, on the other hand, created still life and genre paintings.
- Lunch comes around slowly after the social session of painting still life in art.
- In addition there were also workshops on how to set up your own studio, portrait, still life photography, digital imaging and other skills necessary to enjoy the art of photography to the maximum.
Definition of still life in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.