Definition of stillborn in English:
1(Of an infant) born dead.
- We did not approach women whose babies were stillborn or died as neonates.
- This Mass will be of particular interest to parents of stillborn infants of babies who died shortly after birth.
- The doctor also showed me the book of horrors kept by the medical staff - photographs of the grotesque, mis-shapen, stillborn children born in the hospital.
1.1(Of a proposal or plan) having failed to develop or succeed; unrealized: the proposed wealth tax was stillborn
More example sentences
- His stillborn plans for regional mini-parliaments in Yorkshire and across England were yesterday savaged by an influential group of MPs.
- And his thrashing of the first six stillborn proposals is right, but late.
- But the problem is how to revitalize a stillborn plan, how to find enough lawmakers to join and whether the incentives offered to them will be enough.
Words that rhyme with stillbornEastbourne • highborn
Definition of stillborn in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan