Definition of stinging nettle in English:
A Eurasian nettle covered in minute hairs that inject irritants when they are touched. These include histamine, which causes itching, and acetylcholine, which causes a burning sensation.
- Genus Urtica, family Urticaceae: several species, in particular U. dioica, well established in North America
- In his pasture, edible weeds like dandelion, chicory, quack grass and even stinging nettles are allowed to thrive.
- Milkweed provides food for monarch butterfly larvae and stinging nettles host caterpillars of the red admiral butterfly.
- The creation of the road, however, has made an opening for other kinds of plants, including fescue, bent grasses, myriad leaf, a stinging nettle, western dock, and the colorful fireweed.
Definition of stinging nettle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.