- A stalk or stem, especially the stem of a seaweed or fungus or the stalk of a fern frond.More example sentences
- In the picture above, you can see the flat photosynthetic structures, the lamina, or blades, branching from the stipe, or stalk.
- This type of pollinarium lacks a stipe, and the pollinia are directly connected to a broad, soft, arcuate viscidium, which readily dehydrates and collapses after pollinarium removal.
- The petiole or stipe is the stalk at the base of the frond, before the first pinna ‘branches’ from the rachis.
late 18th century: from French, from Latin stipes (see stipes).
More definitions of stipeDefinition of stipe in:
- The British & World English dictionary