Definition of stipule in English:
A small leaflike appendage to a leaf, typically borne in pairs at the base of the leaf stalk.
- A terminal bud was defined as the stage when the stipules of the foliage leaves covered the shoot apex and the youngest foliage leaf was offset from the central axis of the shoot apex.
- Accumulation of CKs in shoot tissues known for high transpiration, such as guard cells and the mesophyll cells below them, trichomes, hydathodes, stipules, and stigma filaments appears to be reasonable.
- The colleter, an epidermal secretory structure, can be found mainly on the adaxial side of stipules and/or sepals among 60 families of the angiosperms.
- Example sentences
- Unemerged axillary bud: a bud still completely enclosed by the stipular sheath of its subtending leaf.
- The genus Acacia is mostly confined to Africa where almost all have stipular spines or recurved thorns.
- Scars of early-falling-off stipular sheaths ring the stems of magnolias, Yellow-poplars and Sycamores.
Definition of stipule in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan