1Each of a pair of devices attached to each side of a horse’s saddle, in the form of a loop with a flat base to support the rider’s foot.
- Will slid his foot up into the stirrup of the horse's saddle and prepared to pull himself up.
- Other safety items are available that can be attached to reins, stirrups and martingales, as well as fluorescent saddlecloths and exercise rugs.
- She smirked as he rose to a seat with the help of his horse and the saddle stirrup.
2 (stirrups) A pair of metal supports in which a woman’s heels may be placed during gynecological examinations and childbirth, to hold her legs in a position that will facilitate medical examination or intervention.
- A well-padded leg holder for the nonsurgical leg, such as a low lithotomy stirrup, is needed to prevent unnecessary pressure on muscles and bony prominences.
- Pressure on the peroneal nerve by lithotomy stirrups may result in paraesthesia and foot drop.
- Femoral nerve injury is usually believed to be caused by prolonged position in the lithotomy stirrups leading to partial eschemia from kinking as the nerve passes under the inguinal ligament.
3 (also stirrup bone) another term for stapes.
- There they became the anvil and the hammer, minute bones that transmit sound from the eardrum to the stirrup bone and, ultimately, to the inner ear.
- The stirrup bone exerts pressure at the oval window of the inner ear, further increasing the sound energy up to fifteen times.
- Reptiles have a single ear ossicle, the stapes or stirrup bone.
Words that rhyme with stirrupsyrup (US sirup)
Definition of stirrup in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.