Definition of stitchbird in English:
A rare New Zealand honeyeater with mainly dark brown or blackish plumage and a sharp call that resembles the word “stitch.”.
- Notiomystis cincta, family Meliphagidae
- Of the 170 species of honeyeaters in Australia and the Pacific Islands, only three - the tui, the bellbird, and the stitchbird (the latter surviving only on offshore islands) - are found in New Zealand.
- The stitchbird was the eighth of nine native bird species set free on Tiri since the auspicious freedom flight of the parakeets in 1974.
- When we got to the island, we were most anxious to see the stitchbird, since this was the only place where we would encounter this unusual honeyeater.
Definition of stitchbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India