A rare New Zealand honeyeater with mainly dark brown or blackish plumage and a sharp call that resembles the word “stitch.”.
- Notiomystis cincta, family Meliphagidae
More example sentences
- Of the 170 species of honeyeaters in Australia and the Pacific Islands, only three - the tui, the bellbird, and the stitchbird (the latter surviving only on offshore islands) - are found in New Zealand.
- The stitchbird was the eighth of nine native bird species set free on Tiri since the auspicious freedom flight of the parakeets in 1974.
- When we got to the island, we were most anxious to see the stitchbird, since this was the only place where we would encounter this unusual honeyeater.
Definition of stitchbird in:
- The British & World English dictionary