Definition of stitchwort in English:
A straggling plant of the pink family with a slender stem and white starry flowers. It was formerly thought to cure a stitch in the side.
- Genus Stellaria, family Caryophyllaceae: several species, in particular greater stitchwort (S. holostea) and lesser stitchwort (S. graminea)
- Verges were yellow and white with celandine and stitchwort.
- Lesser stitchwort, Stellaia graminea, has tiny white flowers with deeply divided petals while red campion, Silene dioica, is much more pink than red.
- It can be distinguished from other stitchworts by the roughness of the edges of the leaves and stems.
Definition of stitchwort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan