1The typical subject or commodity a person, company, or profession uses or deals in: information is our stock-in-trade
More example sentences
- The insurance was against risks including burglary and theft, and the subject matter of the insurance was his stock-in-trade as a manufacturing furrier.
- Take his other big stock-in-trade, photographic collages, of which there are several on the walls.
- He used this professional leeway to venture away from his stock-in-trade gospel/soul sound into balladry and country music, meeting with a good deal of success.
1.1Qualities, ideas, or behavior characteristic of a person or their work: flippancy is his stock-in-trade
More example sentences
- A large part of his stock-in-trade consists of holding fantastic theories up to a light and debunking them.
- We must first dismiss (with regrets) the conceptual equipment and interpretations that had been our stock-in-trade throughout the decades in which we relied upon the community study.
- When confronted with a few probing questions, he treats the journalist as an outright political opponent, resorting immediately to his stock-in-trade - provocative red-baiting.
1.2The goods kept on hand by a business for the purposes of its trade.
- Banks sometimes use pledge in financing dealers' stock-in-trade and international trade.
- Quite regardless of whether credit is extended to the customer to finance the acquisition of plant, of equipment, or of stock-in-trade, the customer requires the custody or use of the items involved.
- Assets such as stock-in-trade or plant and machinery can be passed by delivery. This means that this property can be transferred without triggering a stamp duty liability.
Words that rhyme with stock-in-tradeabrade, afraid, aid, aide, ambuscade, arcade, balustrade, barricade, Belgrade, blade, blockade, braid, brigade, brocade, cannonade, carronade, cascade, cavalcade, cockade, colonnade, crusade, dissuade, downgrade, enfilade, esplanade, evade, fade, fusillade, glade, grade, grenade, grillade, handmade, harlequinade, homemade, invade, jade, lade, laid, lemonade, limeade, made, maid, man-made, marinade, masquerade, newlaid, orangeade, paid, palisade, parade, pasquinade, persuade, pervade, raid, serenade, shade, Sinéad, staid, stockade, suede, tailor-made, they'd, tirade, trade, Ubaid, underpaid, undismayed, unplayed, unsprayed, unswayed, upbraid, upgrade, wade
Definition of stock-in-trade in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.