Definition of stock-in-trade in English:
1The typical subject or commodity a person, company, or profession uses or deals in: information is our stock-in-trade
More example sentences
- The four books under review all deal to some extent in that stock-in-trade, although all were published in 1999, either during or directly following the Kosovo crisis.
- The insurance was against risks including burglary and theft, and the subject matter of the insurance was his stock-in-trade as a manufacturing furrier.
- Take his other big stock-in-trade, photographic collages, of which there are several on the walls.
1.1Qualities, ideas, or behavior characteristic of a person or their work: flippancy is his stock-in-trade
More example sentences
- Ideas, his stock-in-trade, are completely intangible - and therefore perfectly portable.
- Which is ever so slightly disingenuous of him, for a large part of his stock-in-trade consists of holding fantastic theories up to a light and debunking them.
- We must first dismiss (with regrets) the conceptual equipment and interpretations that had been our stock-in-trade throughout the decades in which we relied upon the community study.
1.2The goods kept on hand by a business for the purposes of its trade.
- Banks sometimes use pledge in financing dealers' stock-in-trade and international trade.
- Quite regardless of whether credit is extended to the customer to finance the acquisition of plant, of equipment, or of stock-in-trade, the customer requires the custody or use of the items involved.
- Assets such as stock-in-trade or plant and machinery can be passed by delivery. This means that this property can be transferred without triggering a stamp duty liability.
Words that rhyme with stock-in-tradeabrade, afraid, aid, aide, ambuscade, arcade, balustrade, barricade, Belgrade, blade, blockade, braid, brigade, brocade, cannonade, carronade, cascade, cavalcade, cockade, colonnade, crusade, dissuade, downgrade, enfilade, esplanade, evade, fade, fusillade, glade, grade, grenade, grillade, handmade, harlequinade, homemade, invade, jade, lade, laid, lemonade, limeade, made, maid, man-made, marinade, masquerade, newlaid, orangeade, paid, palisade, parade, pasquinade, persuade, pervade, raid, serenade, shade, Sinéad, staid, stockade, suede, tailor-made, they'd, tirade, trade, Ubaid, underpaid, undismayed, unplayed, unsprayed, unswayed, upbraid, upgrade, wade
Definition of stock-in-trade in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan