Definition of stockjobber in English:
nounNorth American derogatory
- A second reason, certainly understood by the infamous stockjobbers crowding the coffee houses of Exchange Alley, was the option value of defaulting on future installments in case the stock began to lose value in the market.
- In the same period, English investors slowly overcame a long-standing suspicion of stockjobbers and the share markets.
- At the end of the novel she marries the stockjobber, a leading promoter of the American railway scheme.
- Example sentences
- It means that somebody was interested in this stockjobbing and it can be easily explained.
- The stockjobbing in this city offered greater advantages than to buy shares in the canal.
- The use of the term shall will beget speculations and increase the pestilent practice of stockjobbing.
Definition of stockjobber in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan