Definition of stockman in English:
noun (plural stockmen)
1A person who looks after livestock.
- Aborigines who worked as drovers and stockmen on cattle stations were largely ignored until the appearance of works such as Born in the Cattle.
- Before becoming a cook in the Papunya canteen, he worked, as his name implies, as a stockman at Napperby cattle station.
- He came alone to Australia at the age of 16 and for some years he worked as an itinerant stockman on cattle stations in central Queensland and the Gulf country.
1.1US An owner of livestock.
- It is at this time that our farmers, growers, herdsmen and stockmen are really suffering the pressure of economic damage due to foot-and-mouth disease and other market factors.
- The cattle may not be great but their owners are outstanding stockmen.
- At the age of 93, the late Dominic was the oldest man in the parish, he was a diligent farmer, an astute stockman and his long life was a model of gentleness and quiet respectability.
Definition of stockman in:
- British & World English dictionary