adjective (stodgier, stodgiest)
1Dull and uninspired: some of the material is rather stodgy and top-heavy with facts
More example sentences
- White players are perceived as the athletic equivalent of white businessmen and politicians: stodgy, dull and disciplined.
- ‘When we moved the 10, everyone said the dull and stodgy BBC would get hammered every night by ITN,’ he said.
- Conversely, great skiing can't compensate for stodgy service or uninspiring interiors.
2British (Of food) heavy, filling, and high in carbohydrates.
- Lumpy custard, stodgy stew and cold mashed potato used to be stock jokes in British playgrounds about old-style school dinners.
- At this time of year, around when the clocks go back, I start to feel really tired and depressed, and I find myself binging on stodgy foods and then I put on pounds.
- It is published just after Christmas, to boot, when we have all each eaten so much stodgy food that we require four attempts to get up from the sofa.
- Example sentences
- His work is a testament to the artist's need to clarify and baffle - and a reproach to the present, when ‘independent’ now means a stodgily narrative film with a slot at Sundance and a chance to get it released by Miramax.
- You get your hero's origin sequence, decent overview of his costume and civilian life, stodgily staged romance, plus two of the comic series' better baddies.
- For the most part, however, it's content to coast by on the romantic-adventure premise stodgily laid out in an uninspired screenplay.
- Example sentences
- Given the blather SFO dispenses about ‘modern’ and ‘contemporary’ solutions to the stodginess of opera, how disappointing is it when an apotheosis, written into the music, is funked by the production team?
- He produces a familiar litany of complaints about the Review: stodginess, Anglophilia, nonchalance toward younger contributors.
- Not in the mood for stodginess, I'd opted for the Akhini Chicken, a mild dish with pineapple, almonds and sultanas.
Words that rhyme with stodgydodgy, podgy, splodgy
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.