Definition of stomachic in English:
1Promoting the appetite or assisting digestion.
- A few medicinal properties of spices such as tonic, carminative, stomachic, diuretic, and antispasmodic have long been recognized.
- The seeds are valued medicinally for their diuretic, demulcent and stomachic properties.
- The juice is good for promoting digestion and all parts have stomachic properties, which can be augmented with small amounts of cinnamon and cloves.
1.1Of or relating to the stomach.
- Their medicinal properties are similar, both helping digestion in stomachic weakness.
- Another, with a more gradual deterioration of function, becomes a victim to nearly similar changes, with distressing stomachic pain, and unquenchable thirst; and he sinks, delirious under yellow fever.
nounBack to top
A medicine or tonic that promotes the appetite or assists digestion.
- The use of the herb checks the head and eyes, like the leaves; hence the root should be accounted among the best stomachics.
- It is one of the earliest medicinal herbs known in Europe, widely regarded as one of the best stomachics for young children.
- Toxicity and side effects may be ameliorated if the drug is taken with green tea, diuretics, or stomachics.
Definition of stomachic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan