Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of stompie in English:
noun (plural stompies)South African informal
1A cigarette butt.
- There are even signs to ask smokers, when they go on to the pavement to smoke, not to drop their stompies on the street.
- I must admit that stompies are the rubbish I find the most.
- I must point out that the place was spotless, I didn't see any overflowing dirt bins and papers or even stompies lying around.
1.1A half-smoked cigarette kept for later use.
- I once burned the tip of my nose lighting up a stompie.
pick up stompies
- South African informal Break into a conversation of which one has heard only the end.Example sentences
- Not sure if I was picking up stompies but I thought I heard that there was something of the sort on market?
- I often wonder if people bother to read entire threads of this kind of thing, or just pick up stompies?
Afrikaans, diminutive of stomp 'stump'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.