Definition of stone pine in English:
An umbrella-shaped southern European pine tree with large needles, very large glossy brown cones, and edible seeds (“pine nuts”). Also called umbrella pine.
- Pinus pinea, family Pinaceae
- He explained that it owes its name to its resemblance in shape and size to the nuts found in the cones of the stone pine.
- The Mediterranean stone pine, P. pinea, grows at quite low altitudes, as anyone familiar with the landscapes of Provence, Italy, and the Middle East will be aware.
- The vegetation in the study area consists of a mixed woodland of stone pine and cork oak.
Definition of stone pine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.