Definition of stone pine in English:
An umbrella-shaped southern European pine tree with large needles, very large glossy brown cones, and edible seeds (“pine nuts”). Also called umbrella pine.
- Pinus pinea, family Pinaceae
- He explained that it owes its name to its resemblance in shape and size to the nuts found in the cones of the stone pine.
- The Mediterranean stone pine, P. pinea, grows at quite low altitudes, as anyone familiar with the landscapes of Provence, Italy, and the Middle East will be aware.
- The vegetation in the study area consists of a mixed woodland of stone pine and cork oak.
Definition of stone pine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan