adjective (stonier, stoniest)
- 1Covered with or full of small pieces of rock: rough stony pathsMore example sentences
- The surface varies from a stony path to a rutted lane to a broad carpet of grass, all of it passable on a touring bike with the exception of 100 yards or so towards the end.
- If you hike down the steep, stony path on the opposite side, you come to a small, swimming-pool-size basin of water, covered in a green carpet of duckweed.
- And off they went again, up the stony, twisting path, bending over beneath their loads and a natural inclination to avoid the rain as much as possible.
- 1.1Made of or resembling stone: stony stepsMore example sentences
- Everyone heard the quick pace of feet down stony steps.
- He stepped inside the stony tunnel quickly, waiting a moment to make sure the entrance closed completely.
- His blades drop with a clang on the stony steps, blood drips from his hands.
- 1.2Not having or showing feeling or sympathy: Lorenzo’s hard, stony eyesMore example sentences
- Although it occurred some two or three weeks ago, the local police have maintained a stony silence with respect to the theft.
- Some maintained a stony silence while others thought the question was ludicrous.
- Nick looked at Carolyn impassively, his face stony from lack of emotion.
- 1.3 Astronomy (Of a meteorite) consisting mostly of rock, as opposed to metal.More example sentences
- Chondrites are stony meteorites that contain small, melted beads known as chondrules and finer-grained material known as matrix.
- Chondrites are the main type of stony meteorite, constituting 84 percent of all witnessed meteorite falls.
- Even strong iron meteorites, not just weaker stony meteorites, are affected.
fall on stony ground
- (Of words or a suggestion) be ignored or badly received.[with biblical reference to the parable of the sower (Matt. 13:5)]More example sentences
- A suggestion of trying Gandhi's method falls on stony ground.
- He also proposed the word ‘archaeography’, but that one fell on stony ground.
- The parish council at Barlby padlocked the £20,000 park after its appeals to the youngsters fell on stony ground.
- More example sentences
- He avoided the fat man's searching squint, kept his eyes fixed stonily on the water.
- The entire room continued to stare stonily at me while Wanda nodded encouragingly.
- Within in two minutes, only Morgana and Violet remained in the garden, mother and daughter staring stonily at each other across the few feet that separated them.
- More example sentences
- I'm terrified that if I stop writing, then my traditional wall of stoniness will return forever.
- That touched her deeply, as much as the fear and worry she could see once he'd dropped the stoniness, allowing her to see the vulnerability beneath.
- While Duval was a four time All-American at Georgia Tech he was known as Rock, for the solidity of his game and the stoniness of his bearing.