Definition of stony-iron in English:
(Of a meteorite) containing appreciable quantities of both rock and iron.
- Chondrites are made primarily of rock and so have a lower density than stony-iron meteorites, which contain some metal.
- If sliced, the peridioles are exposed, giving the false impression of a stony-iron meteorite.
nounBack to top
A stony-iron meteorite.
- Material like that of the stony-irons is thought to occur at the core-mantle boundary of the Earth.
- The crust is more prevalent on stones and stony-irons and may have partially flaked off.
- Irons and stony-irons are dense, with up to equal amounts of silicates and iron, and are often irregular in shape.
Definition of stony-iron in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan