Definition of storm cloud in English:
1A heavy, dark rain cloud.
- They shoot up from the tops of thunderstorms about the same moment lightning discharges within the storm cloud.
- Instead of the uniform grayness of the rainy day, we have the black storm cloud and brilliant lightning flash.
- When the local topography permits, you can see lightning and the associated storm cloud from anywhere up to 200 miles away.
1.1 (storm clouds) Used in reference to a threatening or ominous state of affairs: the beginning of the decade saw storm clouds gathering over Europe
More example sentences
- Some perceive the storm clouds gathering over Egypt's political life.
- Collins had seen the storm clouds gathering over East Timor's future.
- Zweig saw the storm clouds gathering over his native Austria earlier than many.
Definition of storm cloud in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan