Definition of storm petrel in English:
A small seabird of the open ocean, typically having blackish plumage and a white rump, and formerly believed to be a harbinger of bad weather.
- Family Hydrobatidae: several genera and many species, e.g., Hydrobates pelagicus of the northeastern Atlantic and Mediterranean
- There are or have been several great blue heron, cormorant, puffin, black guillemot, razorbill, and storm petrel breeding colonies on the islands.
- The 120-foot lighthouse, with its 170 worn wooden steps, is a great vantage point for birders who come to see grebes, gannets, skuas and the occasional shearwater or storm petrel on their migratory route through Scandinavia.
- Some, like the tiny Leach's storm petrel, feed offshore on bioluminescent plankton - so are particularly drawn to light.
Definition of storm petrel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan