Definition of stovepipe in English:
1The pipe taking the smoke and gases from a stove up through a roof or to a chimney.
- Remove vines in contact with the home, prune tree branches and shrubs within 15 feet of a stovepipe or chimney outlet, and ask the power company to clear branches from power lines.
- Some 40,000 people who packed St Peter's Square to stare at the stovepipe jutting from the chapel roof shouted ‘It's black!’
- This supply of fresh air is also important to help carry pollutants up the chimney, stovepipe, or flue to the outside.
2An information conduit that traverses vertical levels efficiently but does not disperse widely.
- The postwar planning by the State and Defense departments, along with that of other agencies, was done in what bureaucrats call ‘vertical stovepipes.’
- The adoption of these standards will circumvent the stovepipes and barriers to information flow throughout the services that historically have been a challenge.
- What has changed is a realization that information stovepipes are hindering the United States from determining what the normal internal baseline is, how to tell when a situation changes from the norm, and what that might mean.
verb[with object] Back to top
Transmit (information) directly through levels of a hierarchy: neocons who stovepiped lies straight up to the White House
More example sentences
- Now, the disparate agencies, spread through six Cabinet departments, must learn to swap information on terrorism rather than ‘stovepiping’ it.
- Also threatened would be the cadres who stovepiped the disinformation that the neoconservative used to manipulate public opinion.
- The traditional hierarchy often teaches officers to protect their turf and to stovepipe, filter, and control information.
Words that rhyme with stovepipehosepipe • soilpipe
Definition of stovepipe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan