- He turned the chair around and straddled it at the side of the bed, leaning his chin on the back, peering at me like he'd just uncovered a new species of primate.
- But here they are again, six whalers sitting as they used to, straddling chairs built from wooden boxes with binoculars attached to the high backs.
- He cried out and rolled on his side as she straddled him and grabbed the collar of his jacket.
- She pulled herself onto the bed and straddled her legs over his waist leaning forward to kiss his neck.
- As the rope passes underneath your feet, lunge your left leg forward and your right foot backward so that your feet are straddled about a stride's length apart.
- At points the passage was wide enough to make straddling difficult but eventually we were able to climb up to a drier section and yet more challenging climbing.
- He straddled over to the car and gently slid her into the backseat.
- It is located on the Rwandan side of a mountain range that straddles the borders of Rwanda, Congo and Uganda.
- We took off towards the magnificent mountains that straddled the Sligo / Leitrim border.
- The proposed site was spread across five townlands in the Mullaghereirk mountains which straddle the Limerick, Cork and Kerry borders.
- He straddles issues with as much vigor as most politicians, but nonetheless manages to retain a reputation as a straight talking guy who says what he means and means what he says.
- But long ago he blew a chance by straddling the war issue - opposing going to war without a multilateral coalition yet empowering Bush to do so.
- The Democrats' leaders in Congress have tried to straddle the issue.
- Well the toe-touch is where you jump and your legs go out like a straddle, as if you were sitting on the floor with your legs out in a straddle, and you've got to touch your toes.
- The height of romanticism; there was little else I could do apart from down my drink, suppress a ladylike belch and swing my legs around you in an elegant straddle.
- The hardest part of this trick is getting your hips to start moving upward from the straddle.
- When they think that the saturation point has been reached, they reverse their position: they replace their existing straddles with the opposite ones.
- Calendar spreads, straddles, strangles and butterflies are some of the strategies designed to profit from those types of situations.
- Example sentences
- People who live together and then want a big traditional wedding are very conspicuous fence straddlers.
- They are rallying the faithful and reaching out to the fence straddlers in the final push for your vote.
- At least the Democrats have a candidate smart enough to avoid playing into the public's just-forming impression of him as a straddler and positioner.
Mid 16th century: alteration of dialect striddle, back-formation from dialect striddling 'astride', from stride + the adverbial suffix -ling.
Words that rhyme with straddleaddle, paddle, saddle, skedaddle, staddle
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.