Definition of strandwolf in English:
The brown hyena, which often frequents the shore, where it scavenges dead fish and birds.
- Hyaena brunnea, family Hyaenidae
- A loner with few friends, he works as a diamond diver during the summer months and follows a family of strandwolves during the winter months.
- He spends most of his time scuba diving or observing a family of strandwolves (brown hyenas).
- The rough coastline is the graveyard to numerous ships but also home to massive seal colonies and the awkwardly lovely Strandwolf
Late 18th century: from South African Dutch, from strand 'beach' + wolf 'wolf'.
Definition of strandwolf in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan