1The layer of the earth’s atmosphere above the troposphere, extending to about 32 miles (50 km) above the earth’s surface (the lower boundary of the mesosphere).
- The stratosphere extends above the troposphere to about 150,000 feet and is the region where the ozone layer is formed.
- Just above the stratosphere lies the mesosphere.
- Another important climate forcing, volcanic aerosols, can also give a similar opposing trend between the stratosphere and troposphere.
1.1 informal The very highest levels of a profession or other sphere, or of prices or other quantities: her next big campaign launched her into the fashion stratosphere
More example sentences
- I like to say his standards were in the stratosphere, which is of course where they belong, journalistically.
- At the Class X level, the percentages hit the stratosphere.
- He's blasted the level of cuisine into the stratosphere.
Definition of stratosphere in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.