Definition of strengthen in English:
Make or become stronger: [with object]: he advises an application of fluoride to strengthen the teeth [no object]: the wind won’t strengthen until after dark
More example sentences
- It spreads and strengthens and multiplies until it smothers anything trying to stifle it.
- Nicotine is the substance that reinforces and strengthens the desire to smoke.
- It strengthens muscles and increases endurance, which is very important during labour.
fortify, make strong/stronger, build up, give strength to
reinforce, make stronger, buttress, shore up, underpin
become strong/stronger, gain strength, intensify, pick up
redouble, step up, increase, escalate
informalup, crank up, beef up
reinforce, lend more weight to;
strengthen someone's hand (or hands)
- Enable or encourage a person to act more vigorously or effectively.Example sentences
- In the short run the coup had the effect of strengthening his hand.
- That strengthens Pakistan's hand in its dealings with India.
- The float also strengthens its hand and will bring capital into the business that will be used to reduce debt.
- Example sentences
- Mr Proudfoot will use poultices to remove encrusted dust and grime before treating the stone with chemical strengtheners to prevent cracking and erosion.
- Calcium and vitamin D are good general bone strengtheners.
- Dips target your lower pectorals, triceps, and shoulders - they are an ideal upper-body strengthener.
Words that rhyme with strengthenlengthen
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.