Requiring or using great exertion: all your muscles need more oxygen during strenuous exercise
More example sentences
- He will make strenuous efforts to make sure that no criminal act on the inside, or the outside, can be traced back to him.
- To mitigate this perception, strenuous efforts are being made to engage local people.
- It is also making strenuous efforts to recruit new staff and train unqualified employees.
arduous, difficult, hard, tough, taxing, demanding, exacting, exhausting, tiring, grueling, back-breaking
vigorous, energetic, zealous, forceful, strong, spirited, intense, determined, resolute, tenacious, tireless, indefatigable, dogged
- Example sentences
- His preferred terms of admiration reflect the Victorian preoccupation with ‘character’, inflected perhaps by his endorsement of strenuousness as the essential ingredient of moral heroism.
- It is also important to repeatedly remind participants to watch for overheating during the cardiovascular segment of the class - the water's coolness keeps the heart rate lower and can mask the strenuousness of the exercise.
- Although secretly piqued by Jake's comments and judgment, Luke decided that the current situation didn't need extra strenuousness.
Early 17th century: from Latin strenuus 'brisk' + -ous.
Words that rhyme with strenuousingenuous, tenuous
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.