Requiring or using great exertion: all your muscles need more oxygen during strenuous exercise
More example sentences
- He will make strenuous efforts to make sure that no criminal act on the inside, or the outside, can be traced back to him.
- To mitigate this perception, strenuous efforts are being made to engage local people.
- It is also making strenuous efforts to recruit new staff and train unqualified employees.
arduous, difficult, hard, tough, taxing, demanding, exacting, exhausting, tiring, grueling, back-breaking
vigorous, energetic, zealous, forceful, strong, spirited, intense, determined, resolute, tenacious, tireless, indefatigable, dogged
- Example sentences
- His preferred terms of admiration reflect the Victorian preoccupation with ‘character’, inflected perhaps by his endorsement of strenuousness as the essential ingredient of moral heroism.
- It is also important to repeatedly remind participants to watch for overheating during the cardiovascular segment of the class - the water's coolness keeps the heart rate lower and can mask the strenuousness of the exercise.
- Although secretly piqued by Jake's comments and judgment, Luke decided that the current situation didn't need extra strenuousness.
Early 17th century: from Latin strenuus 'brisk' + -ous.
Words that rhyme with strenuousingenuous, tenuous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.