A bacterium that occurs chiefly in soil as aerobic saprophytes resembling molds, several of which are important sources of antibiotics.
- Streptomyces and related genera, order Actinomycetales; Gram-positive filaments forming chains of spores
More example sentences
- In nature, tetracycline is produced by streptomycetes, moldlike bacteria commonly found in soils.
- The number of genes encoding Nudix hydrolases varies widely, from zero in most Mycoplasma species to around 30 in streptomycetes.
- This applies not only for molecules with an antibiotic activity like in the case of streptomycetes but also for compounds that may play a role in cell processes like signaling and communication.
Definition of streptomycete in:
- The British & World English dictionary