- Muscle tissue in which the contractile fibrils in the cells are aligned in parallel bundles, so that their different regions form stripes visible in a microscope. Muscles of this type are attached to the skeleton by tendons and are under voluntary control. Also called skeletal muscle. Often contrasted with smooth muscle.More example sentences
- Differentiation of vertebrate skeletal striated muscle can be studied in cell culture and provides a valuable model system for cell differentiation.
- A second major difference between smooth and striated muscle is that smooth muscle contains a unique myosin light-chain subunit known as p-light chain.
- Here, striated muscle is replaced by smooth muscle, the two types of muscle interdigitating over several centimeters.
More definitions of striated muscleDefinition of striated muscle in:
- The British & World English dictionary