Definition of strict construction in English:
A literal interpretation of a statute or document by a court.
- In accordance with the basic rule of statutory interpretation, a penal enactment will not be given a strict construction if other interpretive factors weigh more heavily in the scales.
- A strict construction, such as might be adopted for ordinary taxation legislation, is inappropriate.
- The further advantage of a strict construction was that one simply had to read the enforcement notices to discover whether the breaches which founded each enforcement notice were the same.
strict constructionist noun
- Example sentences
- I believe in strict constructionists, and those are the kind of judges I will appoint.
- ‘Putting strict constructionists on the Supreme Court may help thwart the forces of judicial activism, but it isn't enough,’ he says in a press release.
- If we have to deal with strict constructionists on the Supreme Court, maybe it's time to be more activist in our interpretations of everything else.
Definition of strict construction in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan