Definition of strict construction in English:
A literal interpretation of a statute or document by a court.
- In accordance with the basic rule of statutory interpretation, a penal enactment will not be given a strict construction if other interpretive factors weigh more heavily in the scales.
- A strict construction, such as might be adopted for ordinary taxation legislation, is inappropriate.
- The further advantage of a strict construction was that one simply had to read the enforcement notices to discover whether the breaches which founded each enforcement notice were the same.
strict constructionist noun
- Example sentences
- I believe in strict constructionists, and those are the kind of judges I will appoint.
- ‘Putting strict constructionists on the Supreme Court may help thwart the forces of judicial activism, but it isn't enough,’ he says in a press release.
- If we have to deal with strict constructionists on the Supreme Court, maybe it's time to be more activist in our interpretations of everything else.
Definition of strict construction in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.