Definition of strike up or strike something up in English:
1(Of a band or orchestra) begin to play a piece of music: they struck up the “Star-Spangled Banner.”
More example sentences
- It began when a band struck up the opening hymn and a huge screen unfurled with a little bouncy ball popping across the words so everyone could sing along.
- There was an awkward silence and then the band began to strike up.
- The band struck up a catchy, fast-paced jazz beat, and Victoria began to sing.
begin to play, start playing
1.1 (strike something up) Begin a friendship or conversation with someone, typically in a casual way.
- You could always strike up a conversation with someone on the mall bench next to you.
- We might strike up a friendship, become pen pals, visit each other.
- They were boisterous but friendly, delighting in striking up friendships with the locals.