Definition of striker in English:
1An employee on strike.
- While the strikers walk the picket lines, more than 20 employees have decided to continue working.
- They struck on Tuesday of last week, when many strikers joined the picket line, and were due out again this Thursday.
- Our strike is solid, with around two thirds of strikers attending picket lines.
2The player who is to strike the ball in a game; a player considered in terms of ability to strike the ball: a gifted striker of the ball
More example sentences
- Norman told McCord he thought European Tour players were better ball strikers than the Americans.
- Liverpool play Real Betis on Tuesday and one of the best strikers of a dead ball in the game awaits.
- Burke is a sixpolar striker of the ball and plays his shots boldly.
2.1(Chiefly in soccer) a forward or attacker.
- He also makes good runs forward to support the strikers.
- Why was Ferguson sitting in midfield instead of bombing forward to help the strikers?
- The 28-year-old Dutch striker has been out of action for nearly three months because of an Achilles injury.
Definition of striker in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan