noun (plural strobili /-ˌlī/)Botany
- 1The cone of a pine, fir, or other conifer.More example sentences
- Immature female and male strobili cones were harvested from a 40-year-old Norway spruce tree, 2 weeks prior to pollen release.
- At the tips of reproductive branches are the ‘cones,’ or strobili, which consist of tightly packed appendages called sporangiophores.
- Note that this is a strobilus with possible homology to the ovule-bearing cone of conifers.
- 1.1A conelike structure, such as the flower of the hop.More example sentences
- While many lycophytes have their sporophylls scattered along their stem, most produce them in a strobilus.
- Unlike most seed plants, however, the pollen and ovule-bearing organs are usually produced together in a bisporangiate strobilus called a flower.
mid 18th century: from late Latin, from Greek strobilos, from strephein 'to twist'.
More definitions of strobilusDefinition of strobilus in:
- The British & World English dictionary