Definition of stroma in English:
noun (plural stromata /-mətə/)
1 Anatomy & Biology The supportive tissue of an epithelial organ, tumor, gonad, etc., consisting of connective tissues and blood vessels.
- Loose connective tissue stroma predominated in the less cellular areas.
- The stroma consists of fatty tissue and ligaments surrounding the ducts and lobules, blood vessels and lymphatic vessels.
- The deeper regions of the tumor showed hypocellularity and had an abundance of loose edematous stroma.
1.1The spongy framework of protein fibers in a red blood cell or platelet.
- The endometrial stroma has a framework consisting of reticular fibers and stromal cells.
- The surrounding stroma was infiltrated by plasma cells and scattered aggregates of lymphocytes, forming follicles with germinal centres.
- Typical plaques showed proliferation of myofibroblastic cells with myxoid stroma.
1.2 Botany The matrix of a chloroplast, in which the grana are embedded.
- Chloroplast envelopes, stacked grana and unstacked stroma thylakoids were well-defined.
- There is characteristically a dense sparsely cellular fibrous stroma.
- Granules of different sizes were noted in the chloroplast stroma in all treatments.
2 Botany A cushionlike mass of fungal tissue, having spore-bearing structures either embedded in it or on its surface.
- This latter consisted of a few membranes irregularly distributed in the stroma or tightly pressed to form very electron-dense stacks.
- During in vivo measurements, excitation light is incident upon the epithelium, and must travel through this tissue layer before reaching the stroma.
- Transport proteins in the inner plastid envelope membrane connect the metabolism of plastid stroma and surrounding cytoplasm.
- (chiefly Anatomy )Example sentences
- A complete description of ovarian endometrial stromal sarcomas, adenosarcomas, and carcinosarcomas is presented.
- The drug has also proved effective against rare gastrointestinal stromal tumours and small-cell lung cancers.
- The prostate specimen showed glandular and stromal hyperplasia.
- (chiefly Botany )Example sentences
- Exposure to two UV-B doses induced a notable increase in the grana-stromatic lamella ratio and luminal space dilation of the stromatic lamellas.
- The ncosomes in the sample are 1-10 cm thick, stromatic, and contain melanosomes at their margins.
Definition of stroma in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan