noun (plural strongmen)
- 1A man of great physical strength, especially one who performs feats of strength as a form of entertainment.More example sentences
- Ivan ‘the Polish Piledriver’ Putski was a legendary strongman, famous for performing feats of strength prior to matches.
- Namibian strongman Andre du Preez will perform his feats of physical strength for one and half hours before the start of the fireworks.
- Several companies make them, and they're very popular with power-lifters, strongmen and other strength and power athletes.
- 1.1A leader who rules by the exercise of threats, force, or violence.More example sentences
- These forces, and the strongmen who control these private and separate armies, could well inherit the kingdom.
- The military strongman rules Taiwan until his death in 1975.
- One way of escaping such dichotomies is to cease thinking about them, replacing this uncomfortable confusion with decisive rule by a strongman.
More definitions of strongmanDefinition of strongman in:
- The British & World English dictionary