Definition of strongyloidiasis in English:
Infestation with threadworms of a type found in tropical and subtropical regions, chiefly affecting the small intestine and causing ulceration and diarrhea.
- The worms belong to the genus Strongyloides, class Phasmida, in particular S. stercoralis
- Examples include tiabendazole for strongyloidiasis, ivermectin for scabies, and quinolone ear drops for chronic otitis media.
- Thiabendazole has been the most commonly used anthelmintic for strongyloidiasis.
- Ivermectin has been used in humans to treat millions of cases of onchocerciasis, other filariases, and intestinal nematodal infections such as strongyloidiasis.
Definition of strongyloidiasis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.