- A bitter and highly poisonous compound obtained from nux vomica and related plants. An alkaloid, it has occasionally been used as a stimulant.More example sentences
- Are strychnine or warfarin poisons or noxious things?
- Others combined wine with strychnine, a poison used as a stimulant in small amounts.
- Some medicines used during the Civil War now are known to be poisons, including arsenic and strychnine.
early 19th century: from French, via Latin from Greek strukhnos, denoting a kind of nightshade.
More definitions of strychnineDefinition of strychnine in:
- The British & World English dictionary