Definition of stupefy in English:
verb (stupefies, stupefying, stupefied)[with object]
1Make (someone) unable to think or feel properly: the offense of administering drugs to a woman with intent to stupefy her
More example sentences
- Rachel was stupefied, unable to do anything but stop her trembling lips.
- The challenge is how to properly honor King, without stupefying readers whose eyes glaze at the thought of hearing yet another recitation of the famous ‘I Have A Dream’ speech.
- When I walked out of the movie theatre after seeing the film, I was stupefied.
1.1Astonish and shock: the amount they spend on clothes would appall their parents and stupefy their grandparents
More example sentences
- I felt rather sorry for him, having to find out stuff like this, and after going through my own share of shocks, I knew just how mind-wracking and stupefying this could be.
- Most of the audience with whom I saw the film seemed as stupefied and astonished as I was by the dullness of the proceedings.
- The audience is often stupefied, thinking, ‘Are they really doing that?’
- Example sentences
- Alcohol is one of our milder stupefiers and may have made civilization both necessary and possible.
- Man's principal stupefiers are not opiates, or alcohol, or even sugar - but sex, territory and self-advancement.
- Even without artificial stupefiers like alcohol and narcotics to help them, people routinely achieve irrelevance by adhering to or seeking out a maladaptive schema.
- [as submodifier]: a stupefyingly tedious taskMore example sentences
- You'll recall that just prior to the mergers, in a stupefyingly narcissistic tribute to themselves, several Côte-St-Luc councillors renamed most of the city's parks in their own honour.
- But traditionally they play a stupefyingly defensive game, as if too much scoring would somehow cause people to doubt their masculinity.
- Their speeches can be stupefyingly boring, as if they are reciting parrot-fashion from books, and full of cliches.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan