- A very large primitive fish with bony plates on the body. It occurs in temperate seas and rivers of the northern hemisphere, especially central Eurasia, and is of commercial importance for its caviar and flesh.
More example sentences
- Family Acipenseridae: several genera and species
- A subspecies of the Atlantic sturgeon, Gulf sturgeons are found in the coastal rivers of the Gulf of Mexico.
- Since sturgeons and paddlefish have lost many traits of most bony fish - they lack scales and have a cartilaginous skeleton - their fossil records are very sparse.
- White sturgeon and sockeye salmon both come to freshwater to spawn.
Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch steur and German Stör.
More definitions of sturgeonDefinition of sturgeon in:
- The British & World English dictionary