Definition of subaerial in English:
Existing, occurring, or formed in the open air or on the earth’s surface, not underwater or underground.
- The first cycle initiated in the early Paleocene and represents a transition from Cretaceous marine turbidites and shales to subaerial fluvial sandstones and conglomerates.
- This scenario requires that a narrow zone of marine shale deposition should occur while the rest of the basin was undergoing subaerial erosion.
- The presence of locally interbedded airfall tuffs implies subaerial (or at least shallow-water) eruption.
- Example sentences
- The long time during which the continental interiors had been subaerially weathered and lowered by erosion was succeeded by one of progressive flooding and coverage by shallow seas.
- Some external black glass is noted where the tubes may have been exposed subaerially during formation, but no exogenic specimens were noted.
- The volcanic pile built up above sea level so that lavas began to be erupted subaerially.
Definition of subaerial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan