Definition of subcortical in English:
1Below the cortex.
- Imaging studies done 9 days after admission showed significant progression of his disease, with increased meningeal thickening and focal extension to the adjacent cortex and subcortical white mater.
- Radiographic studies showed a collapse of the eighth vertebra and a subcortical defect on the inner surface of the distal end of the patient's left femur.
- The lesions characteristically involve subcortical white matter, extending to the lower layers of the cortical ribbon.
1.1 Anatomy Relating to or denoting the region of the brain below the cortex.
- Normal consciousness requires wakefulness or arousal activated in the brain stem and midbrain and awareness via the cerebral cortex and projections to and from subcortical brain areas.
- Neuroimaging studies demonstrate that pain involves highly distributed processing in multiple cortical and subcortical regions.
- Retrieval success produced a significant cluster of activation in the prefrontal cortex, the medial frontal gyrus, and several clusters in subcortical regions, most notably in the left medial temporal lobe.
Definition of subcortical in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.