Definition of subculture in English:
A cultural group within a larger culture, often having beliefs or interests at variance with those of the larger culture.
- I would say dealing with people is not within the police subculture culturally glamorous; it is not something that you strive to do.
- Parents and children within the cultures and subcultures we have studied respond similarly to one another.
- Cultures and subcultures constrain us because we internalize their beliefs and values.
- Example sentences
- In Southern Morocco, one of the best known subcultural groups is the Gnawa, descendants of slaves from sub-Saharan Africa.
- Graffiti resists authority and changes the visual scope of the city, creating complicated urban subcultural preferences.
- It is characteristic of subcultural style that it should resist the interpretations of outsiders.
Words that rhyme with subculturecounterculture
Definition of subculture in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia