Definition of subdeacon in English:
(In some Christian churches) a minister of an order ranking below deacon. Now largely obsolete in the Western church, the liturgical role has been taken by other ministers.
- The rest were secular cathedrals, governed by a chapter consisting of a dean and canons whose duty to maintain the Divine Office in choir was carried out by deputies or vicars, normally in priests ’, deacons ’, or subdeacons ' orders.
- Adam A. J. DeVille, a doctoral student at the Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute for Eastern Christian Studies at St. Paul University, Ottawa, Canada, is a subdeacon in the Eparchy of Toronto of the Ukrainian Catholic Church.
- Deacons, subdeacons, and readers assist the priests during services.
- Example sentences
- In Rome, after having received the subdiaconate and the diaconate, on the Saturday of Advent, on 23 December 1673, he was ordained a Priest in the Lateran Basilica, at the hands of Mons.
- In the question of the matter and form of this sacrament we must distinguish between the three higher orders and the subdiaconate and minor orders.
- While Vatican Council II was in preparation, many bishops of the Church requested that the minor orders and subdiaconate be revised.
Pronunciation: /ˌsəbdīˈakənit/ /-ˌnāt/noun
Definition of subdeacon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.