Definition of subgenus in English:
noun (plural subgenera /-ˌjenərə/)Biology
A taxonomic category that ranks below genus and above species.
- The lowest taxonomic rank is species (genera / subgenera in mollusks) and the highest is family.
- Popov's monograph of Cenozoic cardiid shell microstructure includes more than 62 genera and subgenera and 150 species.
- In the gastropods groups I surveyed, 124 taxa at the subgenus and species-group level occurred in the Gatunian Province during the late Miocene and early Pliocene.
- Example sentences
- The mid-E extinction showed no selectivity according to subgeneric size, regardless of how size was measured.
- This fact complicates the usage of subgeneric categories established within the genus Palaeozygopleura.
- Estimates of the number of species world-wide range into the hundreds, but most of the 35-40 oak species in deciduous forests of eastern USA can be placed into one of two subgeneric groups.
Definition of subgenus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan