Definition of subgroup in English:
1A subdivision of a group.
- These groups were further subdivided into subgroups according to the body mass of the respective species.
- These groups were subdivided into two subgroups of eight animals each: one male and one female.
- A second subgroup, the episodically homeless, account for approximately 10 percent.
1.1 Mathematics A group whose members are all members of another group, both being subject to the same operations.
- Although Euler's work is, of course, not stated in group theoretic terms he does provide an example of the decomposition of an abelian group into cosets of a subgroup.
- The procedure, today much used in computer implementations, enumerates the cosets of a subgroup of finite index in a finitely presented group.
- After further papers on subgroups of infinite abelian groups and normal numbers he wrote a series of eight papers on Arithmetic on curves of genus 1.
Definition of subgroup in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan