Definition of submersible in English:
Designed to be completely submerged or to operate while submerged.
- All extra fittings were bought in Arusha, a hundred kilometres away, including cable and piping - a lot of which was needed to operate the submersible pumps, because of the great depth.
- The system has two sonars fitted in a small pod-shaped submersible vessel which is towed by the ship.
- Minesniper is a remotely controlled submersible vehicle which is 2m long and weighs about 30 kg.
nounBack to top
A submersible boat or other craft, especially one designed for research and exploration.
- The Royal Navy has two submarine rescue submersibles, the NR5 and Scorpio, which are currently on standby near Glasgow.
- If the cable is severed then the submersibles are designed to sink to the seabed before the ballast in their tanks is jettisoned so that they rise to the surface.
- He's been down in every imaginable piece of diving gear known to man as well as a wide array of underwater submersibles and crafts.
Words that rhyme with submersiblecoercible, irreversible, reversible
Definition of submersible in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.