Definition of submersible in English:
Designed to be completely submerged or to operate while submerged.
- All extra fittings were bought in Arusha, a hundred kilometres away, including cable and piping - a lot of which was needed to operate the submersible pumps, because of the great depth.
- The system has two sonars fitted in a small pod-shaped submersible vessel which is towed by the ship.
- Minesniper is a remotely controlled submersible vehicle which is 2m long and weighs about 30 kg.
nounBack to top
A submersible boat or other craft, especially one designed for research and exploration.
- The Royal Navy has two submarine rescue submersibles, the NR5 and Scorpio, which are currently on standby near Glasgow.
- If the cable is severed then the submersibles are designed to sink to the seabed before the ballast in their tanks is jettisoned so that they rise to the surface.
- He's been down in every imaginable piece of diving gear known to man as well as a wide array of underwater submersibles and crafts.
Words that rhyme with submersiblecoercible, irreversible, reversible
Definition of submersible in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan