noun (plural subphyla /-ˌfīlə/)Zoology
- A taxonomic category that ranks below phylum and above class.More example sentences
- To give the idea of a subphylum, the entire Vertebrata are in the Linnean arrangement a subphylum of the phylum Chordata.
- I'm animal, my phylum is chordata, my subphylum is vertebrate, my class is mammals, sublass theria, infraclass eutheria, within that I'm a primate, and within that I'm human.
- These aren't just distinct species but distinct phyla, categories so large that man and bat occupy not only the same phylum but the same subphylum.
More definitions of subphylumDefinition of subphylum in:
- The British & World English dictionary