(also subsistence wage)
- A standard of living (or wage) that provides only the bare necessities of life.More example sentences
- At the same time, the wealthier citizens are called upon to take an active, personal role in alleviating poverty and elevating the poor above the bare subsistence level provided by entitlements.
- If the poorer peasantry were living at a bare subsistence level those with larger holdings, along with the landlords, were doing well from what has been described as a trade boom.
- Hence, if their wages were to rise, the ensuing increase in population would soon return wages to their subsistence level.
More definitions of subsistence levelDefinition of subsistence level in:
- The British & World English dictionary