Definition of subspace in English:
1 Mathematics A space that is wholly contained in another space, or whose points or elements are all in another space.
- Gallarati studied properties of varieties whose tangent spaces meet certain linear subspaces along spaces of dimension higher than expected.
- He represented subspaces of a space by coordinates leading to point mapping of an algebraic manifold now called the Grassmannian.
- Kaluznin also worked in the area of geometrical algebra, particularly on arrangements of subspaces in Euclidean and unitary spaces.
2(In science fiction) a hypothetical space-time continuum used for communication at a speed faster than that of light.
- The warp technology of Star Trek, however, allows a spacecraft and its inhabitants to travel many times faster than light by moving through subspace, a theoretical parallel universe in which Einstein's theories do not apply.
- As quickly as the ship slipped into subspace, the light hole flashed away leaving no trace it ever had existed.
- I did not know your race had the capability of subspace communication.
Definition of subspace in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan