Definition of subspace in English:
1 Mathematics A space that is wholly contained in another space, or whose points or elements are all in another space.
- Gallarati studied properties of varieties whose tangent spaces meet certain linear subspaces along spaces of dimension higher than expected.
- He represented subspaces of a space by coordinates leading to point mapping of an algebraic manifold now called the Grassmannian.
- Kaluznin also worked in the area of geometrical algebra, particularly on arrangements of subspaces in Euclidean and unitary spaces.
2(In science fiction) a hypothetical space-time continuum used for communication at a speed faster than that of light.
- The warp technology of Star Trek, however, allows a spacecraft and its inhabitants to travel many times faster than light by moving through subspace, a theoretical parallel universe in which Einstein's theories do not apply.
- As quickly as the ship slipped into subspace, the light hole flashed away leaving no trace it ever had existed.
- I did not know your race had the capability of subspace communication.
Definition of subspace in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.