(abbreviation: subsp. or ssp.)
Definition of subspecies in English:
noun (plural same)Biology
A taxonomic category that ranks below species, usually a fairly permanent geographically isolated race. Subspecies are designated by a Latin trinomial, e.g., (in zoology) Ursus arctos horribilis or (in botany) Beta vulgaris subsp. crassa. Compare with form (sense 3) of the noun) and variety (sense 2).
- Japan's Iriomote cat was recently demoted from a distinct species to an island subspecies of leopard cat.
- At the time, it was thought that all the subspecies were separated geographically, at least on the breeding grounds if not entirely in winter.
- For the data analysis, subspecies and varieties were treated as full species.
- Example sentences
- Genetic data based on mitochondrial DNA generally support current subspecific classifications based on phenotypic traits.
- Molecular genetic studies of Song Sparrows across North America have also had difficulty finding concordance between genetic variation and subspecific designations based on phenotype.
- Our original tree included a handful of subspecific taxa as well, but these have been excluded for the present analyses.
Words that rhyme with subspeciesconches • munchies
Definition of subspecies in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan