Definition of substation in English:
1A set of equipment reducing the high voltage of electrical power transmission to that suitable for supply to consumers.
- York Railway Station was evacuated and trains prevented from stopping after the electricity substation which supplies its power was flooded at around 7pm.
- Southern Pines supplies electricity to the substation that powers the Colonial pipeline.
- The project will involve the installation of two key high-voltage substations in the Nampower transmission system for the new Skorpion zinc mine.
2A subordinate station for the police or fire department.
- In a separate development, Harry told reporters on Wednesday that police had circulated sketches of four bomb suspects to Greater Jakarta police stations and substations.
- The housing project has a police substation and is heavily patrolled, and the adjoining university has its own police force.
- The brawl led to an attack by about 300 members of the infantry battalion on Madiun Police station and three other substations in the town.
2.1North American A small post office, for example one situated within a larger store.
- The U.S. Post Office substation, located underneath the OSU Bookstore and operated for more than 25 years, is closing Aug. 12, 2005.
- From now on, Marchetti will use the post office in neighboring Yalesville. The office is small and the workers are pleasant, like the ones at the South Broad Street substation, she said.
Definition of substation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.