- 1The process or skill of taking one number or amount away from another: subtraction of this figure from the totalMore example sentences
- Roman numerals are fine for recording numbers, and for doing simple additions and subtractions, which meant they were adequate, if somewhat cumbersome, for commerce and trade.
- They were all excited doing their addition, subtractions, multiplications and divisions, mentally and with abacus.
- Apart from additions and subtractions, they also multiply, divide, calculate square roots, etc, all in a matter of seconds.
- 1.1 Mathematics The process of taking a matrix, vector, or other quantity away from another under specific rules to obtain the difference.More example sentences
- If the spectra are dominated by fluctuation of the motor charges, subtraction of two spectra obtained at different pipette potentials should have a similar relaxation time.
- ‘The Analytical Method of vector addition and subtraction uses vector components,’ I reminded Mr. Shah.
- The processing can be extremely fast, requiring only the time to record a patch from a camera and then carry out the subtraction and a single matrix multiplication.
More definitions of subtractionDefinition of subtraction in:
- The British & World English dictionary